While every effort has been made to ensure that your participation in the Shere 42k, Half Marathon or 10k multi-terrain event is enjoyable and trouble free, we need to make you aware of the following rules of the event;
Event Risk Assessment
- Shere 42k starts promptly at 9.00am on the 6th July 2019, registration will start at 0730am and finish at 8.45am. A briefing will be given at 8.55am prior to the race starting.
- Shere Half Marathon starts at 9.30am, registration opens at 7.30am and briefing starts 9.25am
- Shere 10k starts promptly at 10.00am, registration will start at 0730am. A briefing will be given at 9.50am prior to the race starting.
- This is a chip timing event so numbers and chips can be collected at registration
- All races take in some of the most stunning scenery that Surrey has to offer including the Surrey Hills ie Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill, Raynards Hill and St Martha’s and the North Downs (cumulatively 1350 metres or the height of Ben Nevis!). The course will be fully marshaled and have regular watering stations along the route.
- We will have Marshall’s (wearing hi-viz jackets with the event name on them) at all major road crossings, these guy’s are here to help you so please respect their judgment when advising you on crossing the road.
- Please do not drop any litter, respect your surroundings and the other competitors
- There will be checkpoints at roughly 10km intervals storing water and other refreshments
- The course will be fully marked out at regular intervals (no more than 100 meter spacings) and is run on defined paths and tracks so there is no need for competitors to take short cuts! the main reason is not only fairness to the other participants but to protect the natural surroundings and wildlife in the area.
- All competitors must have the following items with them, mobile phone (at least one per team of three), water (although we will have 5/6 drink stations along the route), food (drink stations will have a small quantity of fruit etc) and a map can be purchased for a small fee on the day
- If for any reason you need to drop out of the event, you will need to contact one of the organisers (via mobile phone) to inform us of your decision to leave the race. The contact number will be provided nearer the time. This is a safety event and needs to be adhered to.
- The cut off time for the 42k event is 10 hours (to gain a medal and t-shirt) and the official back marker for the event will collect you and bring you to the finish line if you are struggling to complete the course.
- The Duke of Kent of school has an open day so please be respectful when passing through this checkpoint
- The routes for all races are on the events page and the Shere 42k facebook page
- A new floor to the Shere Village Hall has recently been laid so if your running shoes are muddy can you please take one of our free shoes covers before entering, thankyou!
- For this event (10k only), if you wish to trial a pair of Scott, La Sportiva or Altra trail running shoes for FREE then please get in touch as limited pairs will be available on the day
- If for whatever reason you need to leave the race then please get to a checkpoint and hand your number in and inform us by calling the emergency number that will be given on the day of the race
More information will be added periodically
Race Age Categories below, please note that the minimum age for 10k is 16 years and 18 years for the 42k
Men’s Open – up to 39 years – 1st Prize a NEW pair of Trail running shoes
Men’s Vets – 40+
Men’s Super Vets – 55+
Ladies Open – up to 34 years – 1st Prize a NEW pair of Trail running shoes
Ladies Vets – 35+
Ladies Super Vets – 45+
Teams (42k only) – Any age (minimum age as above)